Thursday, August 13, 2009

Final Stretch

Welcome back, everyone, to my blog. We're getting down to the final stretch here at the lovely Fort Jackson. Only two weeks left, YEA!!! I can't wait to get out of here. We've actually done a lot of stuff this week. Well, more stuff than the last couple of weeks. Monday we finished our last day on the firing range. I'm very very excited about that. And on Tuesday, we got our class A uniforms. If any of you don't know what a class A uniform is, it's the uniform I wear when I want to get all the ladies. Not that I will use it for that. I'm spoken for and would never do such a thing. Love you honey. Anyway, it's the way nice dressy uniform. And it looks good.

Wednesday I got to shoot some awesome weapons. I shot a M203(grenade launcher), a At4(a bazooka), a M249 saw(machine gun) and a M240B. That's the one that is mounted on a turret, hummer, or a tank. That one was my favorite. And to finish it off, we shot a 50 caliber machine gun. That one is just pure power with big bullets. It was a pretty fun day.

At the end of this week we had what's called Victory Hammer. It's a 3 day 2 night camp out in the forest where we do training. The whole time that weekend I was worried about getting hurt. Not that we're doing anything way dangerous. I'm just thinking that I'm almost done and I just have like 2 or 3 more required training events. I don't want to come all this way just to not pass because I got hurt. So do you want to guess what happened? On the first day of it I jacked up my back from carrying a kid that is around 230-240 lbs. So I couldn't even walk. It hurt so bad. My DS made me go tot he hospital to check it out. All they did was ask me what happened and where does it hurt. After that, he just gave me some Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers. So much for getting help. I was finally able to sorta walk and get through that day and the next. Unfortunately we still had our 9 mile road march, which I'm happy to say I completed. It was very painful and long, but I did it. I'm pretty sure that it was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done in my life. I thought I was going to be alright because back in scouts we did a 50 mile hike and one of the days we did 15 miles. The key word to that was "day". We did the 9-10 miles in 31/2-ish hours. Pretty much the best way to describe it was that it sucked, way bad. But hey, it's over.

So, as I end this week's blog, I'd like to thank you for staying informed on my experiences throughout these past weeks. There is a chance this might be my last blog while I'm here in Ft. Jackson. Next week I'm doing my final training which is a week out in the field sleeping in the tents, so I won't have access to mail. I'm still going to try and keep notes and send one when I get back from that. We'll see. And if I get really ambitious I'll write one next week right before I go in the field. Just keep checking back and see. I love you all. Take care.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Jared! How come you had to carry a 230-240lb guy? For how long? man o man :( no fun! have a blast sleeping in tents for a week though! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know why you had to carry that man too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep telling Kristy that I can't believe anyone chooses to do this kind of stuff but then you write about all those things you get to shoot with and it makes me want to join (well maybe for about 5 seconds:) I'm sorry you got hurt but good luck on your final test/camp. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete